about Close Window

History of Glenview Community Church

Glenview Community Church began as a Congregational Church in 1897 in a small house on Dewes Street.  By 1937 the membership began to grow and members were led by students from the Chicago Theological Seminary.

During World War II, Robert Edgar was called as its first full-time minister. With openness to the people from various denominations, the congregation began reflecting the make-up of the community. Officially, the congregation became the Glenview Community Church on September 29, 1941.Rapid growth In Glenview and the church continued during the war years.  The church had outgrown its building, but due to the scarcity of building materials, the congregation met at different times in a tailor shop, bowling alley, civic building and field house.  During these years, funds were collected, so that in 1946, when building materials again became available, the sanctuary at the corner of Glenview Road and Elm Street was built.  Eventually, a gymnasium was added for the high school youth, then a church school and office wing were constructed, and finally, the sanctuary was enlarged to its present size. 

In 1952 the church launched an experiment in ministry with the addition of a four-person pastoral team to minister to its diverse congregation, including the founding minister, Rev. Robert Edgar, who served from 1941-1960. The Senior Ministers who followed include: the Rev. Dr. Kenneth Nye who served from 1961- 1972; the Rev. Dr. Robert Alward who served from 1973-1989; the Rev. Dr. Douglas Runnels who served from 1990-2001, and the Rev. Dr. Howard Roberts who began his ministry in 2002-2011. Rev. Dr. Douglas E. Busby was our Transitional Senior Minister from August 2012 through January 2013. We now welcome Rev. Dr. Charles E. Mize..

 

Glenview Community Church • 1000 Elm Street • Glenview, Illinois 60025 • 847.724.2210